Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday night in Campania

This week my attention has been drawn to Italy's "fertile countryside" aka Campania. The region earned it's name due to it's vigorous agricultural output. The area grows about 50% of Italy's nuts as well as a leading amount of tomatoes and olives. Mozzarella cheese is made extensively throughout the region as evidenced by one of the most celebrated dishes, pizza Margherita. Who doesn't love pizza? But that is not the dish I chose to prepare to taste the region. I chose a dish with a more colorful background: spaghetti alla puttanesca. Puttana literally means "whore" in Italian and the magical aroma of this dish was what these ladies of the night used to lure their customers. The spaghetti is tossed with a salty slurry of chopped garlic, capers, olives, and anchovies. Indeed, a dish worth whoring yourself for!

Ingredients for the puttanesca including the wine I paired it with

Now on to the wine: 2012 La Sibilla Campi Flegrei Piedirosso. I love that the name of this varietal translates to "red feet". These "red feet" produce deliciously food friendly wines with unique character. The varietal is native to the region. I found a pronounced smoky tobacco note balanced by soft fruity plum tones. On the palate there is also plenty of dried red fruit and beef jerky. This smoky lushness went perfectly with the garlicky, briny kick of the puttanesca. Even as the sauce was simmering on the stove I knew this pairing was a winner. 



My puttanesca

No comments:

Post a Comment