Monday, March 7, 2011

Last week behind a desk

As I discussed in my last posting here, I am moving back to the Bay Area. This will be my final week working at the local cable co and I am excited for the next chapter in my working life. Yes I am taking a huge pay cut and I won't be supervising anymore...I'm going back to the front lines as a barista, but somehow I am still excited. I was never meant to sit on my ass all day staring at a computer screen and I never became accustomed to "watercooler" chat. Even though the pay was great, I do not see myself ever making a permanent home in that world. I've always loved making edible, or drinkable, things for people and I look forward to doing so again. Today coffee, tomorrow wine! Well I can hope anyway. For now I think its best to take it one day at a time and just enjoy being home for awhile.

Do you ever wonder what life would be like if money wasn't an issue? I mean would you make the same choices? What profession would you pursue if you didn't have to base it on a salary projection? I have spent a lot of time at jobs I hated and that I knew were not taking me anywhere just because I needed the money. I'm sure most of us have had to do the same thing for one reason or another. But think about it...really think about. How many years of life do you want to keep selling off to the highest bidder? Ok time for me to get off the soapbox...just food, eh drink for thought.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you guys are coming back. I also ended up taking a huge pay cut as well. I left my 9-5 commuter job and now work as a independent contractor working from home with no health benefits, 401K, paid holidays, and no PTO. I also do wonder what it would be like if money wasn't a concern. Now that I have a wedding to save up for, I am being really frugal with money, not buying cloths for myself and eating out less, attending more potlucks, cooking at home more and choosing which "family/friends events" to attend, yep lot's of sacrifices. I just think of this as a temporary situation that I need overcome. My mantra is to "keep things simple". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't know you made this change. I think you are right about keeping things simple, makes life easier especially during transition. Can't wait to see you and live near by again :)

    ReplyDelete