Thursday, November 11, 2010

Recent Tastings

Of course I have drank many wines over the past few months, but here are the few I have had in the past two weeks. 

2009 Chardonnay Louis Jadot: ***
I absolutely love French chardonnays which is surprising because I typically loathe ones from California. The difference is in the texture. California chardonnay tends to be too oaky and have that "buttery" mouth feel. The ones from France have a better balance of acidity and, in my opinion, are much more well rounded. Slight hints of green apple and fresh grass accent the wine perfectly. For about $15 you can't go wrong.

2008 Gewurztraminer Hugel: *
More on the sweet side of the spectrum without being cloying with floral and citrus notes. Tastes of honeysuckle and orange blossom in the finish. Pairs nicely with spicy foods such as Thai cuisine. Still not a personal favorite, a little too sweet for me...I guess I am sweet enough!

2007 Cotes du Rhone Perrin Reserve: *and 1/2*
Big, bold Rhone region blend. Smooth and supple with an almost caramel mouth feel. Tastes of red berries with an almost creamy finish. Its a steal at only $10.99 a bottle. This wine would go great with a nice roast chicken.

2007 Korbel Brut Naturel: ***
One of my current favorite sparklers with its more pronounced fruit flavor. This is attributed to the higher percentage of pinot noir to chardonnay grapes. This is one of my top recommendations for your Thanksgiving table. The earthy fruit forwardness of this wine matches perfectly with the warm flavors of the holiday such as sage and clove.


Pictures coming soon...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment