Friday, November 12, 2010

Wedded Bliss=Dinners Shared

I have always loved to cook so it's no surprise that now that I am an "old married woman" I try to make delicious dinners for my husband. I don't know why I feel the compulsion stronger now, seeing as we have been living together for over two years. Don't get me wrong, I would cook on occasion before the wedding but now I feel more that it is my duty. Except one that I am all too happy to perform on a daily basis. I think that the couple that eats together stays together and I feel lucky that we can share dinner every night. That along with my wine drinking habit (which requires food pairing, right???) has really propelled me into full on gourmet cooking mode. 

Here is a meal I am pretty proud of, which me and my husband ate every last bite of btw...


Spicy Mint Beef paired with Hugel 2008 Gewurztraminer

The floral sweetness of the gewurztraminer compliments the bold spicy flavors of the dish.

1lb. flank steak, cut into thin strips, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
6 green onions, white and green, chopped
1 can baby corn
2 tablespoons garlic-chili paste, such as Sambal
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
juice of one lime
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped roughly
1lb. rice noodles, soaked in hot water for 8 minutes

Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Saute ginger, garlic, and green onions until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper strips, cook for another 2 minutes. Add beef and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved. While beef cooks, combine garlic-chili paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, honey, and lime juice in a bowl. Pour mixture into the pan with the beef mixture and let simmer for about a minute. Add baby corn, heat through for a minute then toss in mint leaves and drained rice noodles. Toss to combine. Serve with lime wedges and a sprig of mint.


Bon appetit!












On my way to becoming a domestic goddess in no time!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment